Healthy non-carb spaghetti
Likers, Lurkers & Lovers 🙂
Follow me on Instagram HERE
As much I love bread I love pasta too – but I’ve for the most parts cut it out of my diet (except special on special occasions). As a healthy substitute I found something new, yummy and delicious to add to my meat, poultry and fish – and that is: Spaghetti Squash!
Spaghetti squash is very low on calories which makes it a perfect way to help you loose weight or stay lean. One cup of cooked spaghetti contains approximately 220 calories. Comparably, one cup of cooked spaghetti squash is only about 42 calories.
Well I know you are probably thinking how on earth is a squash going to turn into spaghetti and does it even taste like spaghetti?! Well let me take you thru the steps to eat a pasta dish without feeling bloated and guilty after finishing it – and taste aaaaamazing.
- First preheat the oven to 400°F (200 Celcius)- meanwhile you prep the squash.
- Slice the squash in half – lengthwise from stem to tail. (Sometimes cutting the squash can feel like a work out lol, so if it’s too difficult let it bake 10 min in the oven before cutting it)
- Then you take out the seeds (be careful not to take out the flesh of the squash)- I always use a spoon which makes it easier.
- Then place squash in a roasting pan with the cut-side facing down and pour enough water to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Let it bake for 30-40 min
- When done baking take out the squash and with a fork you are now going to scrape out the flesh. The flesh will come out looking like spaghetti. If it isn’t easy scraping out the flesh it needs to bake some more.
- Place the “spaghetti strings” in a bowl and add salt and pepper or other spices.
I don’t recommend eating the spaghetti squash alone. My favorite thing to add is a delicious homemade low fat bolognese sauce. But I have add’ed other sauces as well. 🙂
I’m definitely hooked – so let me know what you guys think 🙂